THE RECTORY
History of the Rectory 1810
The Rectory of Middleton on the Wolds was one of the wealthiest ecclesiastical livings in the East Riding of Yorkshire. The estate, initially part of the Rectory land awarded at enclosure in 1803-1805, was owned by three successive Rectors.
Middleton Hall began as a rather grand Rectory, designed by the architect Peter Atkinson Junior of York. Built in 1810, it featured a walled garden, shrubbery, and parkland. The 1841 census reveals that the rector had a butler, a cook and a housemaid. In 1851 the household had changed with a house servant, a house maid, kitchen maid, footman and a coachman. “To the poor he was humane and charitable and from the amenity of manners, a perpetual cheerfulness of temper added to an inconsiderable amount of wit and humour he was a general favourite”.

Original Location, Source H. Teesdale, Yorkshire, surveyed 1817-18, published 1828
It went on to say that “a long and tedious illness which he bore with exemplary patience and resignation, while it tamed down the exuberance of his animal spirits brought out the better part of his nature and he passed his time in a diligent preparation for eternity”. Obituary notice in the Beverley Guardian of the 22nd November 1862
Source: Geoff Wisher Heritage sheet 13
Source: Yorkshire Gardens Trust Survey by David and Susan Neave June 2013. Available on line at Middleton Hall Parkland – Middleton on the Wolds – Parks & Gardens
Architectural Details
The house and parklands are visible on the first ordnance survey map from 1855! But the layout of the new Rectory included:
- Courtyard: 115 feet 9 inches long and 101 feet 4 inches wide, with outhouses at the east end.
- Ground Floor: Dairy, pantry, scullery, kitchen, storeroom, vestibule, stairs, breakfast room, dining room, hall, and drawing room.
Life of Rector John Blanchard
John Blanchard (1790-1862), the vicar of Lund with Kilnwick and a Justice of the Peace for the East Riding for 34 years, was described as a typical Victorian “Squarson” with a fondness for field sports. He initiated a tradition of cricket matches, such as the 1856 match between Middleton and Etton. There is a story that the rector sold the house because an unpleasant incident had taken place the association of which made it uncomfortable to stay!
We wonder what that was? Any local information would be appreciated!
Sold in 1865
The Rectory house was later sold in 1865 and became Middleton Hall. The Rectory moved to Lund, but two years later, in 1867 our new Rectory was built on Church Hill – this is now known as Parklands. The new owners were corn merchants from Hull, Walter and Alice Johnson. They lived there until 1947 when it was sold to Marr and Son Ltd who were shipping trawling merchants from Hull.
Middleton Hall probably remained empty until it fell into disrepair and was eventually demolished in 1963. The brick walls from the kitchen garden were retained and are now used to rear pheasants. The gardener’s cottage remains and is now used by the game keeper. The stables and coach house also remain to the east.
At the point of sale there were still ‘Pleasure Gardens’ consisting of two tennis courts, flower gardens, shrubberies, and a pond. There were also several good greenhouses which were cleared. If only they remained, anyone for a game of tennis?
Source: Geoff Wisher Heritage Sheet 13
Source: Yorkshire Gardens Trust Survey by David and Susan Neave June 2013. Available on line at Middleton Hall Parkland – Middleton on the Wolds – Parks & Gardens
The Rectory / Parklands
In 1867 a new Rectory was built on Church Hill – this is now known as Parklands.

Parklands as the Rectory. Source unknown, Date unknown

Parklands as the Rectory. Source unknown, Date unknown
Warter Lodge
Another rectory was built in 1867 (off Church Hill), and then another in 1947 – which is now a privately owned house known as Warter Lodge in Warter Road. Warter Lodge is a detached house with a floor area of 2,228 square feet.

We hope to add more to the website in this area.
Added for K. Kaye & M. Gillum
May 2025

Designed with WordPress